To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most vital tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Pleased Wednesday! Haje is having fun with a well-deserved day without work, however I’m right here to dive into some information with you. Let’s be part of fingers and leap in on the similar time, we could? — Christine
The TechCrunch High 3
- Cloudy day: Google’s first cloud area in Africa launched in South Africa. Annie and Tage write that this transfer “permits for the localization of purposes and providers” and for companies to extra rapidly deploy capabilities — for instance, synthetic intelligence, machine studying and knowledge analytics.
- Duck, duck, goose: French meals tech startup Gourmey took in $48 million of latest funding to prepare dinner up its slaughter-free and lab-grown foie gras. Romain has extra.
- Show a little more, show a little less: Fb is testing out a brand new characteristic with Reels to let customers say how a lot or how little they wish to see of sure issues of their feed, Aisha studies.
Startups and VC
Headline included, I loved Paul’s story as we speak on Whistleblower Software, an aptly named firm that took in a $3 million seed spherical to proceed growing its product aimed toward making it simpler for staff to report company wrongdoings.
Take pleasure in 5 extra:
Expensive Sophie: Any suggestions for negotiating visa and inexperienced card sponsorship?
I’m at present on an F-1 scholar visa. I’ll obtain my bachelor’s diploma in pc science in December and can apply for OPT. I’d like to remain and work within the U.S.
Do you’ve any suggestions for negotiating visa and inexperienced card sponsorship? The rest I ought to keep in mind as I begin contacting potential employers?
— Shy Scholar
Three extra from the TC+ staff:
Large Tech Inc.
A cybersecurity incident disrupted enterprise at U.S. hospital chain CommonSpirit Well being, inflicting it to take a few of its info know-how techniques offline, Carly studies. It isn’t but identified what sort of incident it was or what, if any, private info was taken within the course of.
Right here’s 5 extra for you:
- How we doing?: It’s been one yr since Google’s $1 billion pledge of support to Africa’s digital economy, and Tage and Annie perform a little efficiency evaluate.
- M&A motion: Spotify acquires Kinzen, a content material moderation tech firm, in a transfer that Sarah writes will tackle platform issues of safety.
- We take your sale and lift you one: Walmart isn’t letting Amazon’s Prime Early Entry Sale get one of the best of it and is countering with its own sale, Aisha studies.
- That is solely the start: Simply as Elon Musk introduced he was transferring ahead with the Twitter deal, a decide was granting the social media large time to do some digging. A variety of twists and turns certainly, as Taylor put it. Additionally, Alex weighs in on how expensive Elon’s Twitter buy is.
- Battle, on your proper, to partAI: The White Home is proposing an AI Bill of Rights, which “mandates that AI techniques be confirmed protected and efficient by means of testing and session with stakeholders, along with steady monitoring of the techniques in manufacturing,” Kyle writes.